Skip to main content
(775) 300-2000 Contact Us
Is Telogen Effluvium Causing Your Hair to Fall Out? Reno, NV

Running your fingers through your hair and having a handful of hair come out can be alarming. While most people with alopecia and other hair loss conditions lose hair slowly, there are conditions that can suddenly result in hair loss. Telogen effluvium, or TE, is one of the top causes of hair loss after androgenic alopecia, which can result in sudden hair loss.

What Is Telogen Effluvium?

Hair follicles perform in stages, including a growth, rest and shedding stage. At any given time, about 90% of the hair follicles on your head are in the growth (anagen) phase, while the other 10% are either resting or shedding. The resting stage is called telogen, which is followed by shedding and starting the anagen stage again. Telogen effluvium is a condition where an event triggers more hair follicles to enter the resting stage followed by a higher amount of shedding, which can occur gradually or suddenly.

What Causes TE Hair Loss?

There are several factors that can shock the hair follicles into telogen and eventually result in hair loss. Extreme stress to the body or imbalances can result in TE and hair loss. Some of the most common causes of TE include:

  • Hormone fluctuations
  • Environmental toxins
  • Trauma or injury
  • Medications
  • Nutritional deficiency
  • Surgery

When there is excessive stress that shocks the body, the hair follicle can shift into telogen. In one to six months later, the follicle will shed those hairs that were at rest during the stressful event. The adverse circumstances of TE can result in a delay before the new hair emerges, resulting in thinner hair.

The good news is that TE is usually temporary. The hair does grow back in most cases, especially if the cause of TE is addressed. However, there are ways to speed up the hair growth process and minimize hair loss.

At Avance Hair Transplant, we offer several non-surgical hair restoration procedures that can combat hair loss from telogen effluvium. We offer PRP and stem cell injections, hormone therapy, microneedling, nutritional supplements and medications that can help restore hair growth after TE. To learn more, contact our center in the Reno/Tahoe, NV area to schedule a hair restoration consultation.

Posted on behalf of Avance Hair Transplant

5588 Longley Lane, Suite C
Reno, NV 89511

Phone: (775) 300-2000





5.0 / 5.0

5.0 stars from 387 reviews

Skip footer